Monday, January 10, 2011

Fashion flashback

My love for "I Love Lucy" started when I was very young.  My childhood best friend and I had "Luc-a-thons" where we'd stay up until the early morning hours watching the sitcom, reciting the lines right along with Lucy, Ricky, Fred, and Ethel.

I recently started collecting "I Love Lucy" on DVD.  I now have the entire series (seasons 1-6) and as I watch, I'm consumed the the innocence of it all.  Lucy was harmless.  Never a curse word, no sleeping around, no one does anything morally corrupt.  It was (and I think is) hilarious because the actors were talented.  They did the shows mostly in one-take in front of a live audience.  And Lucille Ball remains one of the greatest physical comedians of all time.

Aside from all of that, as I've been re-watching the series, I've noticed more and more what Lucy wears and how fashionable it is - even by today's standards.  Evidence as follows:

 Lucy wears a mens'-style plaid shirt.  I would wear it today with a pair of skinny jeans and flats.

 Speaking of pants and flats.  She had it down the 50's.  Plus, check out the striped button-down shirt.

 Lace is all over red carpets these days.

 There's nothing about this I don't like.  White shirt, vest, skinny tie, Wayfarers!! To borrow a phrase from Rachel Zoe, "I die!!"

And polka dots...always in fashion

1 comment:

  1. "I die! Ba-na-na's." I love this! Love analyzing the fashion of such a classic show. Did you know I watched this on nick-at-nite growing up too with my childhood bff? Love!
    -Ash

    ReplyDelete